What Flood Insurance Does Not Cover

Flood insurance is specifically designed to protect against financial losses caused by flooding. However, there are certain types of damages and losses that are not covered by standard flood insurance policies. These include damage caused by sewage or drain backups, wear and tear, mechanical breakdowns, and flooding caused by earthquakes or other earth movements. Additionally, most flood insurance policies do not cover the cost of temporary housing or other living expenses incurred due to flooding, nor do they provide compensation for the loss of income or business interruption resulting from a flood.
## What Does Not

### Exclusions for Personal Belongings

When it comes to homeowners and renters insurance, there are certain belongings that are not covered. These exclusions vary from policy to policy, but some common items that are typically not covered include:

1. **Cash and equivalents:** This includes physical cash, gift cards, traveler’s checks, and money orders.
2. **Securities:** This includes stocks, bonds, and mutual funds.
3. **Collectibles:** This includes items such as stamps, coins, and artwork.
4. **Pets:** This includes the cost of replacing or treating pets that are injured or killed.
5. **Vehicles:** This includes cars, trucks, motorcycles, and boats.
6. **Business property:** This includes any property used for business purposes.

**Note:** Some policies may offer limited coverage for certain types of personal belongings. For example, some policies may cover up to a certain amount of money or valuables that are stolen from the insured’s home. It is important to check with your insurance provider to confirm what exclusions apply to your policy.

| Item | Exclusion |
| Cash and equivalents | Yes |
| Securities | Yes |
| Collectibles | Yes |
| Pets | Yes |
| Vehicles | Yes |
| Business property | Yes |

Limits on Building Coverage

When it comes to homeowners insurance, it’s important to understand what is and isn’t covered. One of the most important things to know is that there are limits on building coverage. This means that if your home is damaged or destroyed, your insurance company will only pay up to the amount of coverage you have purchased.

The amount of building coverage you need will depend on a number of factors, including the size and value of your home, as well as the type of construction. It’s important to work with your insurance agent to determine the right amount of coverage for your needs.

Exclusions to Building Coverage

In addition to limits on building coverage, there are also a number of exclusions that apply. This means that your insurance company will not cover certain types of damage, even if it is within the limits of your coverage. Some common exclusions include:

  • Damage caused by earthquakes or floods
  • Damage caused by war or terrorism
  • Damage caused by nuclear accidents
  • Damage caused by intentional acts of the homeowner
  • Damage caused by wear and tear

It’s important to be aware of these exclusions before you purchase homeowners insurance. This way, you can make sure that you have the right coverage for your needs.

Table of Exclusions to Building Coverage

EarthquakesDamage caused by earthquakes is not covered by homeowners insurance.
FloodsDamage caused by floods is not covered by homeowners insurance.
War or terrorismDamage caused by war or terrorism is not covered by homeowners insurance.
Nuclear accidentsDamage caused by nuclear accidents is not covered by homeowners insurance.
Intentional acts of the homeownerDamage caused by intentional acts of the homeowner is not covered by homeowners insurance.
Wear and tearDamage caused by wear and tear is not covered by homeowners insurance.

Additional Living Expenses (ALE)

Many flood policies include coverage for Additional Living Expenses (ALE), but it may not cover all of your expenses.

ALE coverage helps pay for the following expenses if you have to relocate temporarily because of a covered flood:

  • Rent
  • Utilities
  • Food
  • Laundry
  • Transportation
  • Storage
  • Other necessary expenses

The amount of ALE coverage you have will vary depending on your policy. It’s important to make sure you have enough coverage to cover your needs in case of a flood.

Other necessary expensesYes, up to the policy limit

Damage from Backing Up Sewers

Flood insurance policies do not cover damage caused by water backing up from sewers. This is because sewer backup is considered a plumbing issue, not a flood. If your home is damaged by water backing up from a sewer, you will need to file a claim with your homeowners insurance policy.

There are a few things you can do to help prevent sewer backup in your home:

  • Keep your drains clear of debris.
  • Don’t pour grease or food down your drains.
  • Install a backflow prevention valve.
  • Have your sewer line inspected and cleaned regularly.

If you do experience sewer backup in your home, it is important to call a plumber immediately. They will be able to clear the backup and prevent further damage to your home.

Well, there you have it, folks! That’s the nitty-gritty on what flood insurance doesn’t cover. I hope you’re feeling a bit more informed now. Just remember, if you’re ever in doubt, don’t hesitate to reach out to your insurance provider for clarification. And don’t forget to check back later for more helpful articles and tips on all things flood insurance. Until then, stay safe and dry!