Do Full Time Masters Students Pay Council Tax

If you are a full-time student on a Master’s course, you may be eligible for an exemption from paying Council Tax. To qualify, you must be enrolled on a course that lasts for at least one academic year and is at least 21 hours per week. You must also be living in student accommodation or with your parents/guardians. If you are eligible, you will need to apply to your local council for an exemption.

Council Tax Liability for Full-Time Students

Whether or not full-time master’s students are liable for council tax depends on their individual circumstances, including their residency status, accommodation type, and income. Here’s a comprehensive guide to help you determine your council tax liability as a full-time master’s student:

Council Tax Exemptions for Students

  • Full-time students living in halls of residence: Exempt from council tax.
  • Full-time students living in private rented accommodation: Exempt from council tax if all occupants of the property are full-time students.

Council Tax Liability for Students

Full-time master’s students may be liable for council tax if they meet the following criteria:

  1. Living in private rented accommodation where not all occupants are full-time students.
  2. Living in a property they own or are jointly liable for.
  3. Receiving a sufficient income to meet the council tax payment.

Determining Income Eligibility for Council Tax

To determine if your income meets the eligibility criteria for council tax, consider the following sources:

Income Type Included in Council Tax Calculation
Student loans Yes
Scholarships and bursaries Yes
Part-time work Yes
Savings and investments No

You will be responsible for paying council tax if your total income (excluding savings and investments) exceeds the eligibility threshold set by your local council.

Exemptions and Waivers for Masters Students

Full-time masters students are usually exempt from paying council tax. However, there are some exceptions. You may need to pay council tax if you:

  • Are living with a partner who is not a full-time student
  • Are living in a house that you own or rent jointly with someone who is not a full-time student
  • Have a job that earns you more than £100 per week

If you are not sure whether you are exempt from paying council tax, you can contact your local council.

There are also a number of waivers that can help you reduce your council tax bill. For example, you may be eligible for a:

  • Single person discount
  • Student discount
  • Low income discount

To find out if you are eligible for a council tax waiver, you can contact your local council.

Type of waiver Eligibility criteria
Single person discount You live alone or with other students
Student discount You are a full-time student
Low income discount Your income is below a certain level

Verification and Documentation Requirements

To establish your eligibility for council tax exemption as a full-time Master’s student, you will typically need to provide the following documentation to your local council:

  • Proof of enrollment: This can include a letter from your university confirming your full-time student status and the duration of your program.
  • Student ID card: This serves as physical evidence of your student status.
  • Proof of identity: This can be a passport, driver’s license, or other government-issued ID.
  • Council tax bill: If you have already received a council tax bill, submit a copy of it to indicate the address for which you are claiming exemption.

In some cases, your university may provide a dedicated exemption certificate or form that you can obtain and submit to the council. Check with your university administration for specific instructions.

It’s important to note that councils may have slightly different requirements, so it’s always advisable to contact your local council directly to inquire about their specific documentation requirements.

Common Documentation Requirements
Document Purpose
Proof of enrollment Establishes full-time student status
Student ID card Physical evidence of student status
Proof of identity Verifies your identity
Council tax bill Indicates the address for exemption
Exemption certificate (if applicable) University-provided documentation of eligibility

Council Tax for Full-Time Masters Students

Full-time Masters students may be exempt from paying Council Tax, depending on their circumstances. However, they must still register with their local council and provide evidence of their student status.


  • Students who live in halls of residence provided by their university
  • Students who live in private accommodation but share with other full-time students


Full-time Masters students who do not meet any of the exemption criteria will be required to pay Council Tax.

Penalties and Consequences for Non-Payment

Non-payment of Council Tax can result in penalties and consequences, including:

  1. Fines
  2. Bailiffs
  3. Court summons

Table: Council Tax Exemptions for Students

Student Status Exemption
Full-time Masters student living in halls of residence Yes
Full-time Masters student sharing private accommodation with other full-time students Yes
Full-time Masters student living in private accommodation alone No

So there you have it. If you’re wondering, “Do full time Masters students pay council tax?”, the answer is usually a resounding “no”. However, if you happen to find yourself in a situation where it seems like you should be paying, make sure to check with your local authority or use one of the handy links provided in this article. And remember, if you ever need to brush up on your council tax knowledge or have any other student-finance related questions, don’t hesitate to visit again!